St. Oswald’s church, Kirk Sandall, South Yorkshire. Now in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust.
The building was surrounded by Pilkington’s Glass works from 1922 to the early 2000s. With the factory abandoned, the area surrounding the church became neglected, until planning for a new housing estate was approved in 2014.
St. Oswald’s contains craftsmanship from the 1400s and 1600s, including an historically significant complete chancel screen, late-medieval stained glass and monuments to the the Rokeby family, including that of William Rokeby d.1521, Archbishop of Dublin and Lord Chancellor of Ireland, whose body was buried in St. John the Baptist’s church, Halifax (now Halifax Minster), his heart buried here at St. Oswald’s.
The ‘now’ image dates to 2020 and was supplied by Tim Charlson. The ‘before’ image probably dates to the first decade of 1900s.
More information on the CCT’s website…