The rose window at Christ the Consoler, Skelton-cum-Newby, dates to the mid 1870s and was made by Saunders & Co. to a design by Frederick Weekes.
Christ the Consoler is shown enthroned in a central position in a mandorla presiding over representations of the stages of life on the inner circle and people from all over the world on the outer.
It is set high in the west end of the church of Christ the Consoler, at Skelton on Ure, on the periphery of the Newby Hall estate near Ripon, North Yorkshire.
This church was built to the design of William Burges (1827-1881) for Lady Mary Vyner, whose son Frederick was kidnapped and murdered by brigands in Greece while he was on his Grand Tour, aged only 23. She had amassed a ransom which, alas, could never be paid and spent the money instead on two magnificent churches, Christ the Consoler on the Newby estate and that of St. Mary’s, Studley Royal at Fountains Abbey, Burges also chosen as the architect of that church. Christ the Consoler’s dedication and design reflect the feelings of a grieving mother. The story of the murder is carved into the stonework around the north, east and south walls of the chancel behind the high altar.